Movie , Music and Video Game News, Reviews, And Lists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jim's Movie Reviews: Step Brothers

Go down

Jim's Movie Reviews: Step Brothers Empty Jim's Movie Reviews: Step Brothers

Post by outtamycrease Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:52 pm

I got some positive feedback on the last review I wrote, so I've decided to write one after every movie I see. It's hard work, but it's a labor of love. I do all of this for you, loyal readers.

I hadn't heard much about this movie before seeing it, but what I had heard was positive, so I figured, why not? It looks like a funny, mindless comedy. Which it was, but perhaps a bit too much.

First off, I'm a pretty big fan of Will Ferrell fan, and I thought he and John C. Reilly had some good chemistry in Talladega Nights, but this wasn't his best work. He reprised his role of an ego-centric, borderline psychotic alpha-male, but threw in a side of pathetic loser to stir things up a bit. It really seemed like he was relying on sudden yelling and vulgarity to shock a laugh out of us, not really trying to come up with anything really funny or creative. Most of the gags in this movie didn't work for me, I think he was pretty much riding his reputation on this one, and I caught that right away, so I was kind of out of it to begin with, and it took me a really long time to get back into it.

Not to say it was all bad, though. It certainly had it's moments. Ferrell and Reilly had some good chemistry together again, and it was fun watching their characters interact. Also, while I did say that it relies on vulgarity and the main characters generally acting like lunatics, I'll admit that it got a few laughs out of me. Sure, it's stupid and tasteless, but sometimes is works. If someone goes into the theater and can really get into it, they'll probably enjoy it more than I did.

A few postives
The premise was pretty thin, and allowed the leads to basically do whatever they want, which adds a bit of unpredictability to it, which is a really good thing in a comedy.

The jokes that worked worked pretty well.

The scene at the very end was terrific. Ended the movie for me on a positive note.

A few negatives
The premise was pretty thin, and allowed the leads to basically do whatever they want, and while I thought it was kind of funny, it gets old after a while.

The dad character is just odd and a bad actor to boot.

Did we really need to see Will Ferrell violate the drum set like that? Anyone who sees it will understand what I'm talking about.

The Final Verdict
6.5 out of 10
Not a bad flick, but really stupid and pretty forgettable.

Questions? Comments? Criticisms? Tell me what you think.

outtamycrease
Admin

Back to top Go down